Potassium Chloride 10% Injectable Plastic Ampoule
|10 ml||10 %|
|20 ml||10 %|
The potassium chloride 10% solution is filled within a plastic ampoule of polypropylene manufactured following the blow-fill-seal process. Its luer lock opening allows the direct connection of a syringue.
The bfs ampoules are available in strips of 5 units which can be individually detached from each other easily.
In terms of laboratory tests, an hypokalaemia lower than 3.6 mmol/l indicates potassium deficiency.
This deficiency can affect:
- the digestive tract : diarrhoea, vomiting, stimulating laxatives.
- the renal system: increased excretion in the urine in case of congenital tubular disease or during therapy by salidiuretics, corticoids or (IV) amphotericin B, by excessive alkaline or liquorice derivatives consumption.
- the endocrine system : primary hyperaldosteronism (that involves etiologic treatment).
Symptomatic potassium deficiency may produce some of the followings symptoms: muscular fatigability, pseudoparalysis, cramping and ECG modification, repolarisation disorders and ventricular hyperexcitability.
Chloride ion : correction of metabolic alkalosis often associated with hypokalaemia.
Therapeutic Indications of potassium chloride
- Potassium supplement to meet the patient's daily needs in parenteral nutrition.
- Treatment of hypokalaemia and adjustment of potassium depletion, in case of severe disorders or when intake by enteral route cannot be achieved or is inadequate.
NB: IV administration of potassium salt leads to a high potassium gradient which can cause hyperkalaemia and heart failure (see Posology and administration).
Contacts to get additional informations on the product